What To Expect From The Area
Leave the driveway and you are looking at hundreds of miles of uncrowded two lane roads. State Parks, historic towns and festivals that remind one of yesteryear. Enjoy the space, topography, beauty and simplicity of East Texas.
State Parks and National Forest: A hikers paradise.
- Great hiking and beautiful scenery at Mission Tejas State Park
- Learn about the Caddo Indians at Caddo Mounds State Historic Site
- Ride through the forest on a real steam train Texas State Railroad
- The National Forest offers hiking & swimming Davy Crockett N.F.
Things to do in and around Crockett:
- Loads of animals you feed from your car 25 min Grapeland Safari
- The greatest little zoo I’ve ever seen! 60 min Ellen trout Zoo
- A small and cool music venue Camp Street Cafe no food BYOB
- Great shows in a small town venue Piney Wood fine Arts
- Free outdoor music series Summer Lightnin Concert Series
- Palestine 50 minutes Davey Dogwood Park
- Palestine 45 minutes Museum for East Texas Culture
- Reagan Park (45 minutes) next to the Museum above (Water Toys)
- Go bowling in Palestine (50 minutes) Palestine Bowling Center
- New York Texas Zip Line 90 minutes Zip Line Adventures
- This one may not appeal to everyone and requires advance planning, and a phone call, but….The Columbia Scientific Balloon Facility a part of Nasa Palestine (60 minutes)
- Athens (90 minutes) Texas Fresh Water Fisheries Center is a worthwhile tour. Visit then come back home and fish! check out this video.
Dining and shopping
Wineries and Brewery
- Czech style beer in a country setting. Limited hours Stesti Brewery
Crockett Area Gyms
Stuff to do – In and Around Crockett, Texas
Crockett was named after Davy Crockett who reportedly had camped nearby on his way to the Alamo. The courthouse sits in the middle of the square and is surrounded by antiques shops, restaurants and businesses.
A short walk will take one up to the Moosehead café where people on an amazingly busy square gather for lunch and gossip. Lees China Inn serves reasonably priced Chinese food in a quaint setting on the square. The Brookshire Brothers grocery store is within walking distance of the square.
The loop that surrounds the town contains newer businesses like Walmart. H.E.B., Tractor Supply and numerous fast food establishments.
Palestine, Texas – 45 Minute Drive
Palestine, home of the Texas Dogwood trails, is a 45 minute ride and is a larger city than Crockett. Giovannis is a nice little Italian restaurant with a quaint atmosphere. Here is a complete list of Palestine Restaurants.
Grapeland & Lovelady – 20 Minute Drives
Grapeland is home to the Peanut Festival which draws thousands of visitors every year.
Salmon Lake Park is the home of the world famous Blue Grass festival which last three days over the labor day weekend. They have many additional events and festivals.
Lovelady is a small town that is home of the Love Fest. Every February this small town festival brings us back to less complicated times. We loved seeing Moms follow their children on decorated bikes as they joined the parade through town.
Spring Creek Country Club (in Crockett)